The best at home bagel recipe you’ll find. This recipe calls for minimal ingredients, low effort but amazingly impressive results. The longest part of this recipe will be you waiting for the dough to rise (but trust us, it’s worth the wait.) If you’re feeling like a homemade and fluffy bagel, this recipe is for you.
INGREDIENTS FOR BAGEL
- 1 and 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 and 3/4 active dry yeast (instant yeast also works)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tsp salt
INGREDIENTS FOR BOILING
- approximately 2 liters of water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 pinch salt
- In a bowl, whisk together the warm water, yeast, and honey. Let this mixture sit for at least 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the water/yeast mixture to the flour and combine until a dough forms.
- On a clean and lightly floured surface, add the dough and knead it for about 5 minutes until a unified and somewhat stiff texture is formed.
- Lightly grease a bowl with oil and place the dough into the bowl and place a kitchen towel over it. Note: the kitchen towel should not actually be touching the dough, it should just cover the large bowl.
- Allow the dough to sit and ride at room temperature for about an hour, or until it’s doubled in size.
- Once the dough is ready, lightly punch into it to release any air bubbles. Divide the dough into 8 roughly-equally sized balls. For each ball, press a slight hole into the middle.
- Once all balls are shaped into bagels, let them sit and rise for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a very large pot, heat the water, honey, and salt until its at a gentle boil.
- Take each bagel and gently drop it into the boiling water. Depending on how big your pot is, we recommend to only add 1-3 bagels at a time. Cook each bagel for about 1 minute on each side before placing it on a greased baking sheet.
- Using a fork or pastry brush, brush each bagel with the egg wash and sprinkle some salt on the top (we love Maldon’s flaky sea salt.)
- Add the bagels to the heated oven for about 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let the bagels rest for about 10-20 minutes.
Try this recipe out and tag us on Instagram to show us the results! No time to make a bagel to bring to work? We have lot’s of delicious options in our Fraîche fridges that will keep you satisfied and happy at work.