Did someone day Taco Tuesday? If you want to impress your friends and family with an authentic Mexican evening, this recipe is for you. It’s so easy, yet so impressive, that it will leave your guests speechless… or let’s just say in a food coma.
These carnitas tacos are a one-pot wonder: throw some spices on a nice piece of pork shoulder, add some onions, oranges, and limes around it, stick it in the oven (or crock pot), and be amazed!
INGREDIENTS FOR CARNITAS
- 3 pounds pork shoulder
- 3 white onions
- 2-3 oranges or blood oranges
- 3-4 limes
- 250ml can of pineapple juice
- 1 cup water
- Generous amount of pepper & salt
- Optional: 1 cup pineapple chunks
FOR SPICE MIX
- 2 tsp thyme
- Sprinkle (1/2 tsp) red chili flakes
- 1 tsp chili lime seasoning
- 1 tsp (generous) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 1 cube bouillon
- Pre-heat oven to 300F.
- Take the pork shoulder and generously sprinkle salty & pepper on both sides of the meat.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all of the spices under spice mix and set aside.
- Cut the white onions, oranges, and limes in rough quarters.
- To a large baking tray, add the meat to the middle. Add half of the spice mix to one side and rub it into the meat. Repeat on other side of meat.
- Throw in the onions, oranges, and limes around the meat.
- Add the pineapple juice and water. Cover with aluminum foil. Make sure that it’s tightly sealed.
- Cook for around 4-5 hours or until you can shred the meat easily with 2 forks.
- OPTIONAL: Once you’ve shredded the meat, evenly distribute on a baking sheet and broil for about 5-8 minutes on high heat until the meat becomes slightly crispy and golden brown.
If you’re not in the mood to cook, we also have a range of restaurants in NYC that we adore for a good Mexican evening. Fav’s include: Tacombi, Los Tacos 1, JaJaJa… we will stop here, but stay tuned for more.